This DIY PIC programmer is a part of our PIC programming basics tutorial. By using this USB PIC programmer, you can program microchip PIC series of 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F, 24F, 30F. This is also an EEPROM programmer as it supports 12Cxx EEPROM.
The main component of this PIC microcontroller programming circuit is a PIC182550 microcontroller which controls the overall circuit. Serial port PIC programmers are the widely used PIC chip programmer Kit. But since laptops have no RS232 ports they require a USB to RS232 converter. So, in that case, you need to know how to build your own USB PIC programmer.
Circuit Diagram of PIC Chip Programmer
Components For This Custom USB PIC Programmer
- Microcontroller PIC 18F2550
- Transistor (BC548-2Nos, BC547, BC557)
- Diode IN4148(6Nos)
- Resistor(IK-7Nos, 100K, 470-2Nos, 1M, 470K, 330-3Nos)
- Capacitor(0.01uF-3Nos,2.2uF-2Nos, 10uF, 22pf-2Nos)
- Crystal 8MHz
- USB Connector
- 5-Pin Header (2Nos)
Step by Step Procedure | How to Build Your Own USB PIC Programmer
- PIC 18F2550 has an inbuilt USB port which makes PC interfacing much easier.
- First a firmware should be burnt to PIC 18F2550 using any PIC programmer and then connect the jumper as in the circuit diagram. Download firmware here.
- The jumper connection decides the mode of the programmer, i.e. boot loader mode or programmer mode. Boot loader is used to upgrade your firmware and programmer mode is to burn the PIC microchip.
- Now download USB PIC Programmer software here using usbpicprog and install it.
- Now connect the circuit to the USB port of your PC and open hex file to PIC programmer software.
- Connect any PIC microchip through the ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) Header, it include VPP, VDD, PGD, PGC, GND.
- Now you are done with it. So what are you waiting for? Start burning PIC microcontroller.
Now one of the main advantages of this circuit is that it does not require any external power supply. Instead, it uses USB power. It generates a programming voltage of 13V through voltage multipliers. Linux PIC programmer software is also available for burning. You can program microcontroller like pic16f84a, pic16f877a, pic18f4550, pic16f628a, etc. and make your microcontroller programming easier.
Subscribe to our newsletter
& plug into
the world of circuits