This article explains What is inverter? And how can you construct your own simple low cost 12V to 220V inverter circuit. An inverter is nothing but a DC to AC converter. Inverters are very useful electronics products for compensating emergency power failure, as it performs DC to AC conversion.
AC can’t be stored for future use but DC can be stored for future use in a battery. The stored DC can be converted back to AC by using power inverters.
Here is the simple inverter circuit diagram using 555 timer IC. The astable multivibrator mode operation of 555 timer utilized here for AC oscillations and these oscillations are switched via transistor 2SC4029 to a transformer. The transformer step ups the voltage to 220V AC. Use a 12V battery and Battery charger circuit for this project. Design of inverter circuit is also given.
Circuit diagram of DC to AC inverter
- Power supply (12V)
- Resistors (3kΩ x 2; 1kΩ, 2W x 1)
- Capacitor (10µF)
- 555 timer IC
- Transistor (2SC4029)
- 9V to 220V Step up transformer
Working of DC to AC inverter
- This is a simple inverter circuit based on 555 timer IC. Here timer IC wired as an astable multivibrator mode.
- We have already discussed about Astable multivibrator using 555. Here the oscillation frequency is set to 50Hz, supply frequency in India.
- The diode 1N4007 is used to get 50% duty cycle for the pulses from 555, it also reduces the design complexity.
- The output pulse from the 555 astable multivibrator is fed to the base of power transistor 2N5192. The 2N5192 transistor works as a switch, so the 12V DC supply passed through the transformer at a rate of 50 times per second.
- Transformer step up the 12V to 220V, thus we got 50Hz, 220VAC supply at the output of transformer secondary.
- Use a 12V battery along with a battery charger circuit to power this DC to AC inverter.