This simple low power dc to ac inverter (dc to ac converter) circuit converts 12V DC to 230V or 110V AC. By doing simple modification you can also convert 6V DC to 230V AC or 110V AC. It can be used as inverters for home needs to enable light loads (electric bulb, CFL, etc) at the time of electricity failure.
You can construct this circuit of simple inverter at a cheap rate with locally available components. Use a 12V rechargeable battery and battery charging circuit for this dc to ac inverter. We have already posted the circuit for battery charger.
Don’t forget to watch the demonstration video at the bottom of this article. I also recommend you to have a look into our latest SG3525 based inverter schematic.
Circuit diagram of DC to AC Inverter Circuit
Components required for DC to AC Inverter
- IC CD4047
- Resistors (1K, 18K, 100Ω- 0.5W x 2)
- Capacitor (0.22µF)
- 12V rechargeable battery
- Battery charger circuit(Published before)
- IRFZ44 MOSFET x 2
- Step Down Transformer (230V primary 12V-0-12V, 5A secondary) (110V to 12V-0-12V, 5A can also be used) NB:- Transformer connection inverted
Working of DC to AC Inverter
- You must use a battery and battery charger to implement this inverter circuit. Battery charging circuit is described in our previous post.
- The inverter circuit is built around IC CD4047 which is wired as astable multivibrator.
- The operating frequency of astable multivibrator is set to 50Hz.
- The power MOSFETs IRFZ44 are directly driven by the Q and Q’ output of CD4047.
- The power MOSFETs are connected in Push Pull configuration (Power amplifier). The MOSFETs will switch according to the pulse from CD4047 astable multivibrator.
- Thus an AC voltage is transferred to the primary of transformer; it is stepped up to 230V.
- The transformer used here is an ordinary step down transformer which is connected in inverted manner. That is, the primary of a 230V to 12V-0-12V step down transformer can be treated as secondary for this inverter project.
- If you would like to get 110V AC, choose 110V to 12V-0-12V step down transformer in reversed way. (That is primary as secondary and secondary as primary)
- The inverter output is filtered by capacitor C2.
- Use suitable heat sinks for MOSFETs.